Saturday, November 3, 2012

Bit by Bit - Chapter 2, Part 21

Trey Smith


Now I am going to make a statement here. I don't know whether it fits into the category of other people's statements or not. But whether it fits into their category or whether it doesn't, it obviously fits into some category. So in that respect it is no different from their statements. However, let me try making my statement.

There is a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is being. There is nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. Suddenly there is nonbeing. But I do not know, when it comes to nonbeing, which is really being and which is nonbeing. Now I have just said something. But I don't know whether what I have said has really said something or whether it hasn't said something.

~ Burton Watson translation ~
The Book of Genesis starts off with, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..."

Even as a young child, I had a problem with this supposed first step in the chronology. You would think that this god didn't just create the world -- he planned it first. Wouldn't the planning phase represent a possible beginning?

For that matter, what was this god doing before he envisioned the creation of the heavens and the earth? He must have been doing or thinking something.

And, as long as I'm asking basic questions, when did this god arrive and where from? If you reply that he/she has always existed, then there is no such thing as a beginning OR an ending. So why are we even talking about it?!

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

1 comment:

  1. the idea of a beginning seems to have confused religion and much of science. based it seems on human lives having a supposed beginning.

    they say that there was nothing before as even time was made at that point. it seems like thoughts banging up against the side of the skull.

    an idea of linear time is learned by a person as a tool. linear time is as unreal as left.

    anyone telling me about a beginning is exposing a major weakness that I'll happily take as entry to destroying any ideas they build from it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.