Monday, October 22, 2012

Bit by Bit - Chapter 2, Part 9

Trey Smith


The hundred joints, the nine openings, the six organs, all come together and exist here [as my body]. But which part should I feel closest to? I should delight in all parts, you say? But there must be one I ought to favor more. If not, are they all of them mere servants? But if they are all servants, then how can they keep order among themselves? Or do they take turns being lord and servant? It would seem as though there must be some True Lord among them. But whether I succeed in discovering his identity or not, it neither adds to nor detracts from his Truth.
~ Burton Watson translation ~
If there is a god or supreme creator, then it should be replicated in my body.  What organ would serve as the deity?

It must be the brain.  The brain controls everything...except the brain couldn't function without the blood pumped by the heart.

So, it must be the heart...except the heart can't function without the intake of oxygen from the lungs.

Then, it must be the lungs...except the lungs need the brain and heart to function properly.

Alas, I can find no deity other than the whole which is greater than the sum of its parts.

To view the Index page for this series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.