Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tank Commander Trey

Trey Smith


As I mentioned in a previous post, our one vehicle had a breakdown and is currently at the repair shop. My initial plan was to rent a car in Astoria, but my friend Paul interceded and insisted I borrow one of his two rigs. I didn't want to accept his generous offer at first, but he was VERY insistent. So, for the past three days, my wife and I have been getting around in a really nice Ford Expedition (like the one below).


While I'm very thankful to have alternate transportation, I felt extremely uncomfortable in this vehicle. Our car is a small compact -- a Chevy Aveo -- that sits low to the ground. The Expedition is really big and sits very high off the ground. In order to maneuver in tight spaces, all I usually need is a foot or two and my little Aveo can squeeze in or out of almost any situation. The Expedition is quite wide and long which means you need a good amount of space to maneuver.

In all honesty, I felt like a kid sitting in the driver's seat of mommy and daddy's car!

But the Expedition is nothing compared to what I'm driving today and tomorrow. You see, Paul needs to go shopping for his store and he needs the size of the Expedition to transport all the products he will purchase. So, I am now driving his other rig: a 2011 Toyota Mega Cruiser (like the one below except that it's maroon).


It's even wider than the Expedition! And this vehicle is a really fancy one at that, with a lot of extra bells and whistles (like a killer stereo system). I feel like a pauper driving around in the king's carriage.

It's weird. A lot of people I know would get a big kick out of having the opportunity to drive a vehicle far more expensive than their own. They would revel in the supposed "status" of driving a luxury car. Me? I feel like I'm driving around in a tank! As a very simple man with modest desires, I also feel very self-conscious in such gaudy vehicles. Neither of them fits my personality at all.

I can't wait for my little car to be repaired...though I will miss the killer stereo system. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Those are some ugly vehicles. I thought only Right Wing Republicans drive those.
    I'm surprised you'd drive it. Especially if you're not hauling anything. It's like something Rush Limbaugh would drive. Seriously.

    Never knew the mini mart business was so lucrative. That Toyota Mega Cruiser retails for over 100 thousand dollars, and is in fact intended for military use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been driving them, but I'm not very happy about it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.