Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 79, Lines 5-6

(So), he who has the attributes (of the Tao) regards (only) the conditions of the engagement, while he who has not those attributes regards only the conditions favorable to himself.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

A man of Virtue performs his part,
But a man without Virtue requires others to fulfill their obligations.

~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Those who have virtue hold the contract
Those without virtue hold the collections

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

People who are in touch with Tao
do their duty.
People who aren't
try to force others into submission.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
I know that I shouldn't be as argumentative as I am. But what is worse is that I cringe when I'm in the company of other people who tend to be argumentative!

I expect others to be more civil while justifying my own incivility.

I'm not alone in this regard. Most people I know criticize others for faults they share in common. We each tend to expect others to toe the line, but we allow ourselves the widest berth possible.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.