Thursday, August 9, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 79, Line 7

In the Way of Heaven, there is no partiality of love;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

The Tao of heaven is impartial.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

The Heavenly Tao has no favorites
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Tao doesn't play favorites.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
To be more Tao-like, I need to treat myself no different than anyone else. If I expect others to be this way or that, then I should expect the very same thing of myself!

If I allow myself a wide berth, then I should allow everyone else the same measure. If I expect others to be civil and non-argumentative, then I should demand that I comport myself in the same manner.

As it has been said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.