Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Measure of Control

Trey Smith


Readers should be able to tell how my life is going by what I write about on this blog. When I am able to control enough of the variables in my environment, the topics I choose tend to be more political and philosophical. During periods like right now -- when any pretense of control is torn asunder -- my writings tend to focus more on my organic and mental health challenges!

All I can say is that this week (thus far) has discombobulated me. I'm driving around in vehicles that I'm not used to and are way too BIG plus I've had too many social situations foisted upon me.

This is why I try to exert a measure of control over my environment. I don't deal well with things outside my general routine. While most people I know like to experiment with new things or sensations and embrace the spontaneity of life, I am much more in my element with sameness. I can deal with a little bit of change here and there, but not a lot of it all at the same time!

Now, I realize that a lot of people suffer a bit when hit by major changes (e.g., new job, new relationship, a move, loss of a job, retirement or death of a loved one). It's difficult to roll with the punches when those punches are head shots. But I recoil as much at the flicking jabs and even the the feigned punches.

And so, something as small as driving in a vehicle I'm not familiar with, is enough to throw me out-of-balance and make me feel all weirded out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.