Sunday, July 8, 2012

Tao Bible - Matthew 10:34-37

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
~ King James version ~

Weapons are instruments of fear; they are not a wise man's tools.
He uses them only when he has no choice.
Peace and quiet are dear to his heart,
And victory no cause for rejoicing.
~ from Verse 31 of the Tao Te Ching ~
There are a lot of places in the New Testament that Jesus sounds like a peacenik, but this isn't one of them! While the Taoist sage utilizes violence only when forced into it, Jesus seems to be saying that it is a first choice for him.

I realize that there are different ways that different churches interpret this line, but it can't be denied that, even as a metaphor, it utilizes violent imagery to get its point across.

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.