Saturday, July 28, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 77, Line 12

he does not wish to display his superiority.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

He does not try to show his knowledge.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

They do not wish to display their virtue!
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

They aren't interested in showing off.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
When we try to show off our intelligence, skills and abilities, we take something away from the task at hand. Instead of focusing on the work, we spend inordinate amounts of time and energy focusing on ourselves. When a person's focus is inward, chances are great that we will miss important factors or variables that are outward. As stated before, when our focus is mixed, we hamper our own rate of success.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

2 comments:

  1. There is no such thing as virtue, so how could anyone display something like that, if there were anyone to display anything. Thanks for the reminder anyway. Who knows, I may start believing anything I say is true :-)
    Thanks again for this blog, its fun dwelling. /Jo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read "The end of becoming" by Scott and that post opened my eyes.
    I´m just so confused right now.
    Grasping for something to hold on to. This resulting in thinking loudly at your beautiful website, for which Im greatful.
    My body just told me I did something wrong, and I think this post was a good pointer to what.
    I didnt men any harm, if I started something negative.
    I have no clue what so ever, about anything.
    Something happened inside me a while ago and Im trying to figure out how to live, though I know there is nothing to figure out.
    From there, the confusion which renders inapproperiate actions.
    Thanks for this and every other post. I have much to learn. Again, didnt mean to create thoughts and feelings and...
    Such a well put article this was.
    /Clever-Jo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.