Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Question of Evil

Trey Smith

Why then is it that we have a chorus of people blaming this event on a decline of Christian influence on society? Multiple people including government and religious leaders have described James Holmes as evil, demonic and diabolical. Rick Warren attributed it to the teaching of evolution. Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-Texas) correlated it to “attacks on Judeo-Christian beliefs”. It is equally valid to claim it is the result of the influence of leprechauns as it is to claim that Christianity or the lack of it had anything to do with it.

Am I saying the attack wasn’t evil? I think I am. It was terrible, horrific, horrible beyond reckoning. Those present in the theater have been emotionally scarred, probably permanently. The families of those killed will be asking “why” long after James Holmes’ motive has been established, if there is any motive at all. When I think of Ashley Moser who was badly wounded in the shooting, but her six year old daughter was killed…I’m just overwhelmed. But one word I think does not apply here is the word “evil”.

Evil to me requires intent. And intent requires sanity. Show me a person who, in their right mind, sets out to do as much damage as possible to the lives and psyches of people whom he doesn’t know, and I’ll grant you evil. If Holmes is simply sick in the brain, then his actions in shooting up the theater are not evil. Instead, it is the same as if he had walked into the same theater unknowingly infected with the ebola virus. The mayhem would have been worse, the body count higher, but nobody would have called him diabolical or evil, because it just doesn’t apply. The people killed in Aurora are very likely just casualties of James Holmes’ illness.

~ from The Devil Did *Not* Make Him Do It by Stan Adermann ~
I have been thinking much the same thing recently. I tip my hat to Adermann for an excellent blog post!!

I thought about adding my own two cents worth, but I don't think I have much to add. Adermann stated it very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.