Saturday, June 2, 2012

Tao Bible - Matthew 5:43-44

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
~ King James version ~

I am good to people who are good.
I am also good to people who are not good.
Because Virtue is goodness.
~ from Verse 49 of the Tao Te Ching ~
This is a good example of the Golden Rule: treat others as we wish to be treated. If I solely am good or kind to those I judge to be good and kind already, it takes no virtue to be so.

It is also not in keeping with Tao -- Tao sees the ten thousand things as straw dogs. As I have remarked before, the sun shines on the "good" and "bad" alike.

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.