Saturday, June 9, 2012

Now We Know: It Is God's Fault!

Trey Smith

People who have more traits of autism are less likely to believe in God that those that do not have such traits, according to new research that suggests that belief is boosted by the ability to see into the minds of others.

This ability, often called theory of mind, or mentalizing, is diminished in people with autism spectrum disorders, a cluster of conditions marked by communication and social difficulties. Because people's beliefs in God are often marked by feelings of having a personal relationship with the deity, prayer and worship may require a sense of what God could be thinking...
~ from Autism May Diminish Belief in God by Stephanie Pappas ~
Though I am not a scientist, I had sort of formulated a similar theory myself. I had noted that many Aspies I know tend not to be very religious. It got me to thinking that maybe our autistic brains play a key role.

After further study, if the results remain consistent and this theory finds acceptance in scientific circles, it could lead to some ramifications. For those of you who DO believe in a god -- particularly, the Christian version -- it would mean that your god made people like me. Why would a god make people who could not fathom that the god who created them exists?

Think about this. The Christian Bible talks incessantly about a god who craves to be worshiped by those he created. Some of the worst punishments he metes out are for those who turn away from him or do not accept him for what he is. And yet, he would be responsible for creating some people -- like yours truly -- who are biologically predisposed to the very thing he does not desire. This would mean that autistic individuals are predisposed to BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY.

What kind of loving and caring god would do such a thing?

The answer is that a loving and caring god wouldn't do that and yet, autism exists. So, since autism exists, what should this tell us?

It should tell us that there is no god or, at least, no god as it is currently depicted. In this case, it would seem that those of us with autism have a leg up on the rest of you!

3 comments:

  1. Although I wouldn't call myself "religious", I am both an aspie and a theist. Could it be possible that since I have trouble identifying with others, that I identify with my own image of God instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think God is to blame for my autism.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.