Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Friend who is wrong, and my Grandma

Ta-Wan


My parents get enraged when my Grandma tells tales which they know are false, but she insists are true. They also feel enraged by her when she does not give them, her grandchildren, friends or anyone she converses with, the chance to talk back.

A friend of mine has an idea which no one else in our group shares, we see that alone it has a small merit, but only as part of a much larger discussion. On its own, the outright dedication to its truth is infuriating (especially if we drink together as a group).

He also, commonly, asks a question that he must have recently come across and jibes and pokes at anyone who can't answer it in the way he thinks it should be answered. This dedication to "fact" combined with his 'know it all' mentality also grate within the group. He often begins statements with the phrase "Not a lot of people know this but..." Which translates as "I'm privy to some special knowledge," but, in reality, means that he has some rote obtained trivia and cares not for other views or the passage of time.

In both cases, there is a solution. I think to myself "OK, you're allowed to be wrong." I let them be and say nothing in return.

A negative is that we then feel that the person solidifies their belief that they are right and we may be more drawn to, not necessarily "correct them" as there may often be no correct view, but instead the more enlightened perspective that 'truth is relative' and changes with the perceiver and situation. Stepping in either case though also leads them to solidify their belief, but likely also to engage you in debate or argument.

The solution seems to me to be to think; "OK, you're allowed to be wrong." I let them be and say nothing in return.

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.