Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Congratu-mutilations

Ta-Wan


Hi All,

I just bought a little dog this weekend!

As with an ancient made-up tradition, and far before an age where he may be old enough to make the decision for himself, we are going to have his lips cut off.

(I know, mutilation of infants is so 'un cool' in these modern times, but, it's tradition you know, what can we do? People of poor education who thought the world was flat and sacrificing goats to imaginary characters brought rain thought it - so why not me?)

Bob

~

This email is not real but I felt as shocked as if it were when a similar email came to me with the joys of a newly born "Jewish baby" and the statement that "he would be circumcised, as is tradition".

I held back from a reply as, as much as I felt like standing up for the infant, in just the way I would if a man was about to cut the arm of a child or a similar crime, I realized it's not my place to have a say on the matter. It's private, their thing.

I did though mention it to a friend whose reaction was a little unexpected: "oh, they're doing it so soon? I'm going to wait a while to have my son done. Not for tradition though, for hygiene and to make it look longer." (???!!!!)

It's a crazy world, folks.

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

3 comments:

  1. It should be illegal. Can't do it to a girl in the enlightened? West, no matter what your religious/sexual/hygiene preferences are, so why a little baby boy who has no say in the matter, and could actually die because of it. It's barbaric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great talk here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOMjEJ3JO5Q it actually begins with the above subject but covers a host of wider more interesting areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! Only just watched the start, but how awful. Not sure if this is a problem in Australia (police turning a blind eye to the mutilation of girls), as we have much less of an Islamic presence, but I guess this will change with time too. The stupidity and cruelty...

      Back to the video. Thanks for the link.

      Delete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.