Wednesday, April 25, 2012

What My Dentist Didn't Tell Me

Trey Smith


A little over two years ago, I had all my teeth pulled. After oral surgery, I went home with a new set of dentures (which were subsequently replaced by a much better fitting pair). Along with a new set of teeth and a bloody mouth, the dentist sent me home with a complimentary tube of Fixodent, a name brand denture adhesive.

Once my mouth had healed, my wife -- who already had dentures -- showed me how to glue my teeth into place. It all seemed so simple. My upper dentures don't need the goop and my bottom dentures don't need that much. It took me a while to adjust to my false teeth, but, in time, I've gotten it down pat and I even sort of like them better than the Real McCoys.

But there's something my dentist didn't tell me about the complimentary tube of Fixodent. It contains zinc and studies have shown that the amount of zinc in tooth glue is dangerous to one's health!! I only recently discovered this information by accident. While some of the manufacturers of denture adhesive reluctantly have switched to zinc-free formulas, the Fixodent people stubbornly are holding out. In other words, I have unknowingly been putting poison in my mouth each day.

What kinds of problems does the zinc in tooth glue cause? Neurological ones! That's just peachy, isn't it? I have been beset for years with neurological issues and I have been using a product that exacerbates them!! Some of the typical symptoms reported include numbness and tingling in the feet and hands -- problems I have -- as well as leg pain and, in some serious cases, paralysis.

What is worse is that these studies first came out in 2006 -- that's six years ago. Even though scientists quickly figured out what the culprit was (excessive zinc robs the body of adequate amounts of copper), the corporations that make tooth glue resisted changing their formulas. Most of them didn't get around to changing their formulas until sued by a group of consumers. In other words, they refused to show concern for the health and safety of their customers UNTIL it became evident that a) they would lose business and b) they might be found guilty in court which would cost them a pretty penny.

And this is how it tends to go in the world of corporate capitalism. The bottom line -- short-term profit -- is all that matters. If it is discovered that your product might make people sick or even kill them, you ignore it until you are forced to change. In some instances, you may have known all along that your product makes people sick, but as long as nobody else knows it, it is business as usual.

Needless to say, I no longer use Fixodent. I'm trying out different brands that are zinc-free. So far, they aren't as effect as the zinc-based product, but that's okay by me. I would rather need to use a product more frequently than to invite further neurological impairments into my already neurologically-impaired life!!

4 comments:

  1. There are many things the body needs but there are 3 metals, zinc, copper and another that must exist in balance. Unfortunately each destroys the other but you need them all. Too much or too little of any is no good. Zinc used to be more common in certain vegetables but not it's less so.

    Just a little something I found out from my own adventures, I was low on zinc.

    As an aside I once saw some graffiti, maybe written by a customer, saying what we all think and in big red letters. "dentists are evil money grabbing bastards"

    ReplyDelete
  2. While certain (not all) corporations under capitalism resist change that will pinch their profits, I've no doubt that, back in the glory days of the USSR, the Soviets wouldn't have made any changes to their version of Fixodent either. In fact, think of the problems today with China's contaminated food scandals. Yes, they've embraced an odd blend of "communist-capitalism", but the communist government is still in control. What is more important to change is the hearts of the people in power, no matter what the form of government is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zinc is found in some food products and is essential in maintaining cellular metabolism. However, zinc toxicity may lead to the deterioration of the body's immunity against diseases and lower the volume of good cholesterol in the body. Good call, Trey! It’s great that you studied the ingredients of what your toothpaste is made of. Too much zinc is detrimental to a person's health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Radzim! It was a good call on your part to stop using that product! I’m glad that you’ve found other brands of tooth glue to use, but it’s also not advisable to keep switching. Your gums might suffer from the constant change of chemical composure when you switch from brand to brand. Find one that you’re most comfortable with or more used to, and stick with it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.