Monday, April 23, 2012

The Neighborhood Luddite

Trey Smith


I'm fairly sure my neighbors consider me a Luddite. I am creating a vegetable garden spot without the aid of any machines. The most sophisticated tool being utilized is a Garden Weasel and the only reason I'm using it has to do with my physical issues re my left hip and back.

Most of the time, I have used nothing fancier than a hand trowel! Sure, a rototiller would allow me to get the job done in an hour or two, but I figure, What's the rush? This gives me a project and, besides, I like playing in the dirt! Who knows what past species or civilizations pass through my fingers as I loosen the dirt with my hands?

Part of the reason I have chosen to eschew a rototiller is that we Americans have grown too accustomed to convenience. Most of our mechanized contraptions are pollution machines. To save an hour or a day of work, we willingly spew all sorts of pollutants into the environment. I have the time, so why add to the problem?

In comparison to my more labor-intensive methods, my neighbors utilize almost every lawn and garden machine that comes on the market. Instead of raking leaves, they use a leaf blower. Instead of sweeping the sidewalk, they use a gas-powered air compressor. Instead of washing their vehicles by hand, they use a high-powered pressure washer. I'm beginning to wonder if they have a machines to wipe their butts and pick their noses!

1 comment:

  1. as I approach work each day a person is always out on the street using a leaf blower. they do it all year as they are not just targeting leaves but anything at all that is on the footpath.

    the machine is noisy, likely heavy, gives off fumes from its fuel, and so I wonder. why not use a broom?

    many modern tools are labour saving but in a number of cases the modern tool is cumbersome.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.