Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Side Road

Trey Smith


There has been quite an interesting discussion in the comments section of my post, Rebel Yell V. While the Baroness and Shawn have brought up some interesting points to consider, I will say that I believe both of them have missed the crux of one of the points of said post.

In my opinion, what we end up embracing as our religious or philosophical viewpoint has more to do with our own personalities than almost any other factor. Few people adopt philosophies that are diametrically opposed to the way they view the world anyway.

I first noticed this phenomena back when I was a Christian. You could almost always tell which brand of Christianity a person was devoted to by sizing up the major aspects of their personality. Wealthy people believe in the brand of Christianity which states that wealth is bestowed by God on his favored people. Those who lack a modicum of self-esteem are most likely to embrace the Christian brand which epitomizes the line from Amazing Grace that goes "and saved a wretch like me."

People who have a decided personal penchant for being intolerant are the very same people who join those denominations that stress abject intolerance as being biblically-based. Aggressive individuals read the Gospels as a license for a strong police-state and war, while peaceniks read the same passages and declare that Jesus was a man of peace and nonviolence.

If you ask these folks if their personal worldview was a key factor in their decision to become members of a church brand that just happens to mirror closely what they already think, most of them would be aghast at such a notion. "It has nothing to do with my philosophical preferences," they'll say, "it's what the good book says clearly in black and white!"

Really?

In all the writings I share with you on this blog, I am trying to be very honest. I try -- as much as possible -- to peel away the layers of hubris that we all pile up to guard against others truly knowing us or from us truly knowing ourselves. While I easily could have argued that I came to philosophical Taoism because I discovered that it is the most genuine belief system known to humankind apart from any personal opinion, that would be a crock of you-know-what!

I have chosen to embrace the Taoist framework because it matches up well with the combination of my life experiences, observations and thinking as well as my own personal philosophic system. I don't think I'm that different from the rest of you. I believe we each arrive at such conclusions for much the same reasons.

In Taoism, I have found a framework that I can grow within (though that too can be easily misconstrued). But, like anyone else, this doesn't mean I'm married for life to the Taoist perspective.

As my life experiences and thinking change, one day I may find that the framework of Taoism is too confining (or not confining enough). At one time in my life, the Christian framework matched my outlook, but as I traveled down the road, it became increasingly cumbersome. At some point, it felt like little more than stray baggage, so I left it sitting next to the highway.

I meandered a while without a knapsack. In time, I realized I needed a satchel to keep my stuff in and so I picked up the Taoist one. For now, all my philosophical notions and ideas fit neatly in that sack, but a day may come when that sack begins to fray and I'll decide that I need a replacement.

I won't simply travel down to the local Belief Store to pick up any old bag. I'll look for one that catches my eye. I will look it over to insure that it meets my parameters and, if it does, then I'll leave with a snazzy new bag in hand.

9 comments:

  1. Religion vs Philosophy. . .

    Framework vs Road . . .

    Structure vs Direction . . .

    ... way of life indeed Way of Life!

    Life is a walk on the beach, sand in your hair & wind in your toes

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do bring up good points here Trey. I mainly agree with what you are saying except that I view what you are describing as just being simple human nature, as being a human dilemma that is in need to be solved. This is exactly why Zen masters came up with the methodology of using koans as a means of breaking this biased cycle of viewing the world through our personality. Koans were used as a means of tearing down subjective inclinations into a crisis of bringing the mind to a point of exhaustion and "locking-up". It is at this point when the personality is no longer leading and authoring the process. Other methods can be used to break this in-the-box dilemma we are in. Though I do believe as you, that in our spiritual growing we choose what seems to fit and make sense at a particular time in our life, a crisis-koan of a sort can be used to jump you right out of your mind's gerbil spinning wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur with Shawn. Certainly one element in Taoism is the peeling back of personality (all that "egoic" stuff to find the true self, though I hate the word "egoic", it smells of Vedanta and Eckhart Tolle, who I find totally annoying.) To the extent that I might want to do that is probably why I am attracted to Taoism and its practices. It is my personality to inquire and look inside myself. I do not see Taoism as a cloak that fits; though in a sense, it is the one-size-fits-all, because when all is peeled back, we are all the same, all one. This is why I stress the tough parts, the self examination and practices that wake us up to find out we might not be who we thought we were. (And that others might not be who we thought they were....). A philosophy or faith should never be used to "describe" a current state of being; it is to refine, elevate and challenge one's current state of being. This is why I always stress doing and practice. IMHO.

    On a totally unrelated point, I am somewhat offended by your blanket statement, "Wealthy people believe in the brand of Christianity which states that wealth is bestowed by God on his favored people." I am not a wealthy Christian, but I know very wealthy Christians who would not say this at all, nor would I describe them that way: they attribute their wealth and success to their own hard work. They celebrate their good fortune in generosity and gratitude. You seem to think that all wealthy people are despicable. Those who have achieved their wealth through deceit and hubris are despicable (and they tend not to be very generous). The so-called 'prosperity gospel" is a terrible distortion of Christian values, but not all wealthy Christians subscribe to this view nor should be painted with that brush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baroness,
    First off, it was obvious (at least to me) that I was speaking in general terms. When it comes to people, there always are exceptions to the rule.

    Secondly, what about the people who work just as hard, if not more so, and yet they are financially poor? Why doesn't their hard work reward them with wealth?

    Whenever I hear this general argument that you've made, I hearken back to parts of the beloved Christian gospel. In one instance, Jesus purportedly says that it is harder for a rich person to get into heaven than for a camel to thread the eye of a needle.

    In the other instance, a wealthy person asks Jesus directly how he can best realize the kingdom of God. Jesus tells him to sell all of his possessions, give the proceeds to the poor and then to follow him.

    I know of few, if any, wealthy Christians who have taken Jesus up on his offer!

    Over the years, studies have shown that the poor and middle class donate a greater percentage of their meager finances to charity than do the wealthy. While some of the rich donate staggeringly large amounts, it frequently is a teeny weeny percentage of their largess and often comes with "strings attached." Sometimes it could be defined as miniscule (like one penny on the dollar)!

    So, I return to the salient question: Why does hard work mean success for the few, but not the many? While a lot of wealthy Christians won't say it out loud, their actions indicate that they believe they deserve their success because of their religious beliefs and piety. God is rewarding them for being "good servants" unto the Lord.

    And what about those who work just as hard, but aren't so rewarded? They must not be good enough servants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm, I found a thread somewhere that the camel reference was a "lost in translation" bit & what the scribe in that case should have translated was "thick rope" (perhaps made of camel hair). The camel & needle does make for an enduring mental picture.

      What if the "possessions" are attitudes, "giving the proceeds to the poor" is using "empty mind" to guide others & "follow him" is step-by-step practise doing until it becomes not-doing?

      Delete
    2. There are several different interpretations of the camel/needle story. One that I'm aware of is that Jesus was referring to a particular entrance into Jerusalem. In order for camels to enter this way, they had to almost kneel and move in on something akin to their knees.

      I think most Biblical scholars would agree that, when Jesus suggested the giving up of possessions, he meant it literally because he was inviting the fellow to join him as a disciple.

      Delete
    3. Literally is a thoughtful analysis.

      Delete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.