Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Lack of Compassion

Trey Smith

...my entire working career was spent dealing with those people who can be roughly characterized in American terms as the “Underclass” due to poverty, race, ethnicity, disability, mental illness, criminality and addiction. I know first hand the depredations suffered by this portion of our citizens and this knowledge via experience, is something not shared by most Americans. My work exposed me to the basic unfairness of our system and I must admit my experiences fill me with rage towards those who lack empathy for the ignored and maltreated.
~ from What Motivates the 1%? by Mike Spindell ~
Like Spindell, a good portion of my previous working career was spent working with the underclass. While I can identify with his rage, for me it would more accurately be described as profound disappointment.

It is disappointing that the vast majority of the 1% seem wholly disinterested in walking a mile in the shoes of the less fortunate. They routinely refuse to try to see the world through different sets of eyes. In most cases, it's not because they don't have the time, they simply don't have the gumption.

It is particularly galling that members of the upper class who call themselves Christians are no better in this regard that those of other religions or no religion at all. They spend their time venerating Jesus -- a man who spent the majority of his adult life serving the underclass of his day -- yet they steadfastly refuse to follow his example in any meaningful way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.