Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hell Has Frozen Over and Pigs Fly

Trey Smith

You know how when you smoke some righteous weed and think you see God, but worry maybe you shouldn't mention it to the vicar? Well, good news! One of America's premier religious leaders now says that a little ganja isn't such a heinous sin, after all.

The Rev Pat Robertson, TV preacher, Christian Coalition founder and rightwing icon, has called for the decriminalisation of marijuana:
I just think it's shocking how many of these young people wind up in prison and they get turned into hardcore criminals because they had a possession of a very small amount of a controlled substance.
Robertson says if alcohol is legal, cannabis should be, too.
~ from Pat Robertson's Marijuana Message: What Weed Jesus Do? by Diane Roberts ~
When I first saw the headline for this article, I figured it must be a joke. But it's no joke, folks. Loony Pat Robertson is calling for the legalization of pot.

I'm not sure that he represents the best spokesman for the cause, but you never know. My hope is that more influential people come to their senses as he has.

The War on Drugs -- particularly marihuana -- is bankrupting the country. It's throwing far too many of our potentially best and brightest behind bars for little more than smoking or selling a bit of weed. For all the money we've thrown at this "problem," we don't seem to be making much headway.

As I've related to you before, I'm probably one of the few people from my generation who has never tried pot. I have no interest in doing so. (I've also never been drunk.) But even a teetotaler like myself understands that if alcohol is legal, there is no rational reason in the world that weed should be illegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.