Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Empty Words or Words from Character

Shawn Tedrow


I recently wrote a post entitled Thinking or Being that seemed to stir up a little controversy. Though I attempted to withdraw any doubt that this was meant to be people specific, I do not withdraw the premise of my post.

I speak to myself as well as this audience. It appears to me that today's spirituality is about swimming in the bay of clever and empty words, containing very little substance of proceeding forth from character. There seems to be a complete disconnect, where words are drifting on their own, detached from being borne of REAL LIVING.

I feel like today's spirituality is turning into a bunch of "pie in the sky" groovy words abstract from experience. It is like there is a lot of chatter about living in a particular foreign country without anyone ever LIVING in that country. But these inexperienced chatters of that country seems to keep us anchored at the Bay of Delusions, as if we are actually experiencing living in that country.

I am not at all saying that we need to start doing a bunch of good works that would replicate our words. I am trying to say that it is quite easy to "talk about" this Tao stuff, void of experiencing Tao. Then these inexperienced words seem to put us in a trance as if "these words" represent spiritual growth and understanding. Words become the standard to measure spirituality. A talented poet would win at this game.

Maybe this is why I like Trey's post when he talks about a daily experience he had. I am not saying that the Tao-talk we do needs to always be related to a specific experience but it needs to be borne from experience. Otherwise, what is it?

Who knows? Maybe I am just going through a personal observation and I am projecting it outward.

Thanks for listening.

You can check out Shawn's other musings here.

4 comments:

  1. "Doing good works" isn't really what Taoism is all about anyway; and even in Christianity, it has been debated (otherwise we wouldn't have the dreary Presbyterians).

    Taoism is very much about experience and coming to an understanding of ourselves in reality, and further, what reality even is. And I agree that "today's spirituality" is a mish-mash of cherry-picked, feel-good esoterica. I am very interested in comparative religion, but I find that focusing practice within a tradition (or possibly two) is best. It's the difference between taking an exotic vacation every year and then saying you understand the world, or knowing maybe two places, your home and one other, very well. (I say this because people always ask me why I go back to China...why not Bali...the Amazon..a Mediterranean cruise?) I personally try to find balance and harmony between a very liberal Catholicism (home) and a very specific form of Taoism (that foreign country I visit repeatedly) to find my spiritual way. In each case, I think teachers (in the flesh or in the text) are important, even though ultimately, looking within oneself is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i like how baroness is always the first to criticise a post, yet she never writes one herself...

      Delete
    2. I'm the yin to the yang. I have my own blog, anyway, and participate on other Tao forums, and I regard many of my responses as "posts."

      Delete
  2. "Taoism is very much about experience and coming to an understanding of ourselves in reality, and further, what reality even is". I sure love these words of your Baroness Radon. Thanks for sharing your comment. I also think that your grounding of yourself into a couple of methods has merit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.