Sunday, February 5, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 58, Line 7

Who knows what either will come to in the end?
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

Who knows what the future holds?
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Who knows their ultimate end?
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Who knows what could happen tomorrow?
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
Here's the thing about trying to maintain a sense of happiness at all costs: We don't know what (or if) tomorrow will bring. What brings us happiness today may spell misery and doom tomorrow.

To offer one simple example, if I eat an entire chocolate cake today -- ooh, it's so good -- there's a good chance I'll be sick tomorrow! Then again, I may not. But if I eat it all today, what will I eat the next day that will bring me the same amount of happiness?

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.