Friday, February 10, 2012

Huainanzi - Entry 55

Trey Smith

Without magnanimity, there is no way to embrace everyone.
~ a passage from
The Book of Leadership and Strategy by Thomas Cleary ~
Okay, this one is what I would call a no-brainer! If an individual is unwilling to forgo vengeance and resentment, how can one expect to treat others impartially?

And let me add a comment about this notion of being impartial. I certainly can understand how someone from a Judeo-Christian tradition might view this concept as being loveless. We are taught from an early age that love is passionate, both in its romantic and platonic forms. So, the thought of treating everyone impartially might sound like treating everyone in a manner lacking in love, devotion and fairness.

I don't understand impartiality in this way at all. To me, it means loving everyone regardless of their actions, behaviors and words. It means (to me) not discriminating against those who might not reciprocate and not expecting any love in return.

To read the introduction to this ongoing series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.