Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Huainanzi - Entry 54

Trey Smith

Without calm, there is no way to persevere.
~ a passage from
The Book of Leadership and Strategy by Thomas Cleary ~
As soon as I read the above snippet, I immediately thought of Verse 23 of the Tao Te Ching!
High winds do not last all morning.
Heavy rain does not last all day.
High winds and heavy rain do not persevere. They come in a frenzy and then dissipate.

When I get myself into a frenzy of anxiety, I create phantom hurdles and obstacles. These phantoms look insurmountable and I think there is no way I will get through the "ordeal." It is only when I am able to calm myself that I can recognize the phantoms for what they are and to deal head-on with any bona fide hurdles and obstacles.

It only is when we are calm that most of us can hope to "think straight."

To read the introduction to this ongoing series, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.