Wednesday, February 1, 2012

MLGW 2

Trey Smith

We live in a time when nearly everything is supposed to have a point, a proximity to advancement or self-improvement; yet memory, deceptively simple and infinite and fourth dimensional, clear and murky, is an opposite of neat, cannot configure in the furrowed rows of field or brow. Looking back, we see mostly that we can't...
~ from Chapter 13 of Made Love, Got War: Close Encounters with America's Warfare State by Norman Solomon ~
Since my ability to view the past appears to be different than the norm -- I seem completely incapable of resurrecting the emotions tied to any event -- I am left to wonder just how prevalent this ability is. So, I'm asking readers (those who are not shy) to leave a comment or two about your own abilities to call up the past? When you think back to different occurrences in your life, are you able to get a feel for the emotions you felt at the time?

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely not.I don't have strong memories and don't look back much. Dreams are often more memorable than events and I sometimes can't tell if a memory is of a dream or an event so I let it go either way.

    People with "good" memories tend to run over events over and over to themselves and others thus solidifying them. I don't. I still think the best memory has nothing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends on how strong the emotions were at the time. For very difficult times, yes. Just a couple of days ago a few different memories popped up in succession, due to what I was doing and where I was at the time, and I felt truly miserable all over again - and it can be very hard to shake off. It's not fun, wish I could forget completely sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.