Monday, January 23, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 57, Lines 4-5

How do I know that it is so? By these facts:
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

How do I know that this is so?
Because of this!

~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

How do I know this is so?
With the following:

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

How do I know this?
I've seen it happen:

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
How do we really know anything? We can read about x or someone can tell us about x, but until we experience x ourselves -- in some way, shape or form -- we can't truly KNOW x. It's just a theory, a bunch of words or ideas.

That's why elders always try to impart wisdom to the younger generations, but the younger ones rarely come to understand it wholly until they have experienced life for themselves.

I can tell you that this stove is hot, but until you experience the heat for yourself, you probably won't believe me through and through. Once you've burned a hand or finger on the hot stove, you damn well know!

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.