Saturday, January 14, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 56, Line 5

He will blunt his sharp points
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

Temper your sharpness.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Blunt the sharpness
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

[No corresponding line]
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
I don't know about you, but shrillness generally rubs me the wrong way! A person could have the perfect solution to a problem, but if they try to share it with me in a shrill voice, I will most likely tune them out. I'll cover my ears and run away.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.