Monday, January 2, 2012

Line by Line - Verse 55, Line 8

showing the perfection of its physical essence.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

His manhood is strong.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Due to the optimum of essence
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

That's because he's got lots of energy.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
I think most parents can attest to the fact that their young children often have more energy than they do! When mom or dad wants nothing more than a little downtime, junior is raring to start on lap 500.

As I've mentioned before, due to a congenital defect, I wore unsightly braces until around age 3. Unable to crawl or run like my same age peers, I dragged my braced legs all over the house. My mother use to tell me that I simply amazed her with my determination to get from here to there. It might take me forever and a day, but if I was determined to do it, I got there.

My tenacity as a small child stuck. It goes a long way toward explaining why I stubbornly stick to projects to this day. For example, I have been writing this Line by Line series for nearly 1 1/2 years -- never missing a day! (Of course, since I frequently have down days now due to age and infirmity, I've learned to write ahead by several days or weeks!)

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.