Friday, January 20, 2012

First They Came for the Feral Dogs

Trey Smith

First they came for the feral dogs,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a feral dog.

Then they came for the feral cats,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a feral cat.

Then they came for the lost pet rabbits and guinea pigs,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a rabbit or guinea pig.

Then they came for the non-productive farm animals,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a farm animal.

Then they came for the 99 percent (humans)
and there was no one left to speak out for us.
~ an adaptation of Martin Niemöller's First They Came ~
Why did I write that silly thing above? According to an article posted on Salon,
The city of Harrisburg, Pa., learned this last week when an internal police department memo went public, instructing officers of the cash-strapped city to stop bringing its growing number of stray dogs to the shelter. Instead, it said, they should release them in another area, adopt them themselves — or just put a bullet in them. Now that’s the new austerity.
I agree with Gandhi who said, "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

In other words, if you think the police state will stop at the point of ONLY shooting feral dogs...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.