Monday, December 19, 2011

Tao Bible - Jeremiah 13:13-15

Then shalt thou say unto them, Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will fill all the inhabitants of this land, even the kings that sit upon David's throne, and the priests, and the prophets, and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem, with drunkenness. And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them. Hear ye, and give ear; be not proud: for the LORD hath spoken.
~ King James version ~

Tao has no reason to resort to blackmail.
~ possible Taoist alternative ~
Have you ever noticed that the Christian God deals a lot in blackmail? He frequently says, "Do as I say or else!!!"

The impartial Tao has no need for blackmail. Tao is available to all without expectation. We can choose Tao or not; it's each person's choice.

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

8 comments:

  1. This reads to me more like "What comes around goes around." I will find resistance and strife if I chose a path counter to the Way. There is musch wisdom in the Judeo-Christian writings if one peels away the literalisms and theological wrappings. They were written to reach a culture where the protection and survival of the clan was paramount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should be remembered that this series is juxtaposing a literalist reading of the Bible (the fundamentalist view) versus one Taoist's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure I see the "blackmail" here. The wine, the drunkenness, is part of the "cup of wrath" metaphor of divine judgement which turns up elsewhere (Jeremiah 25:15, and in Ezekiel 23:31.) Blackmail usually means someone's got something on you and if you don't do as they say, they'll rat you out to someone. Who's God gonna rat you out to? There's no bargaining here. Extortion maybe, but not blackmail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the definitions of blackmail is: the exertion of pressure or threats, esp unfairly, in an attempt to influence someone's actions. God is saying that you must worship me precisely how I say or else I'm going to obliterate you. In my book, that certainly counts as a threat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for clarifying the intent of the series for me as a new comer. Without context it comes off purely as a blasting of the Christian God in general and not just the image held by fundamental literalists. The juxtaposition could be much more effective comparing a Taoist interpretation of each passage against a literal interpretation. Your posts instead read as tirades against Christianity more than objective comparisons. Reading them guides me away from Tao because of the high degree of cynicism. I am sorry I cannot see a purpose behind your thoughts that furthers Tao for me.

    May we both have peace on our paths through this universe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I (not that my opinion is anything) 'd say that the more you can refute Christian stuff then the more you can accept alternatives. The more you can accept alternatives then the more you can see the many possibilities and the more you see the many possibilities then the more you see the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't understand "the more you can refute Christian stuff then the more you can accept alternatives." That's a very interesting statement. Can you expand on that phrase and the basis for it? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is to stop identifying with parts as a path to wholeness. Recognition of attachments as a path to freedom.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.