Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sleep

Ta-Wan


Note: This post has nothing at all to do with how Trey struggles to sleep at times.

~

Why not embrace sleep! Maybe you do already but I'd say that you'd likely conjure up some guilt or regret if you slept too much and you'll often find excuses not to sleep.

Take the working week as an example. You know you need sleep but you want that extra bit of me time or you have that commitment, TV show, one more drink, thing you forgot, or other reason not to sleep. "not quite yet I'll just finish this chapter"

In the morning many of us wake for work or some other commitment but some do not have a reason to rise, some could sleep for hours into the day. Of those who rise many would love an extra few minutes, of those who stay slumber some will regret it when they rise. "I wasted half the day"

It is the avoidance of sleep in any case that I'm asking you to look at here and not any ability or inability to sleep. Sleep avoidance occurs when you say "one more chapter before I sleep" or you wake when you didn't really really need to.

Sleep is quite apparently essential to life and it is also quite pleasurable, at lest the bit just as you wake seems to make it seem so. Watch some animals and they sleep whenever there is nothing else doing. "hmm, I've eaten, not much else I need to be... Snooooore". The essential nature of sleep and it's similarity to death are I think important aspects and reasons as to why we should embrace it even more than we do already.

No, I have little else to say, sleep time.

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

1 comment:

  1. That "similarity to death" is perhaps why people (and little children) don't want to turn out the lights. The older I get, I find I am very regular in my sleep patterns, reitring at night, and waking in the morning at pretty much the same times (unless I am disrupted by jet lag or some other external pressure). If I wake in the middle of the night, as older people often do, I either meditate or just get up and read. Like everything else, when you worry about not sleeping or fight sleeping, it just doesn't work.

    I do observe my cat...he sleeps most of the time, but I think much of it is more like meditating than death.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.