Monday, December 26, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 54, Lines 19-20

How do I know that this effect is sure to hold thus all under the sky? By this (method of observation).
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

How do I know the universe is like this?
By looking!

~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

With what do I know the world?
With this

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

How can I know this?
I just do.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
I really like the way John Heider sums up not only this section of the verse but the entirety of it as well.
Remember that your influence begins with you and ripples outward. So be sure your influence is both potent and wholesome.

How do I know that this works?

All growth spreads outward from a fertile and potent nucleus. You are a nucleus.
To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.