Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 54, Line 14

In this way the effect will be seen in the person, by the observation of different cases;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

Therefore look at the body as body;
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Therefore observe others with yourself
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

[No corresponding line]
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
If I want to live in a peaceful world, I must first be peaceful. If I want to live in a world that values others, I must first value those around me. If I think that supreme virtue is important, then I must embrace it in my own life.

It is only when I hold these values close to my bosom and live them to their fullest extent that I can hope to see how my life can have a positive impact on others.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.