Saturday, December 3, 2011

I Love Linux Mint, But...

Trey Smith


I really am a BIG FAN of Linux Mint. For the most part, this system has been a breath of fresh air compared to Windows. I've had few problems with Mint EXCEPT in one case: when I go to upgrade it from one version to the next. At that point, all hell breaks loose!!

The last time I did an upgrade, I lost all my data and files because -- for unknown reasons -- the new versions simply couldn't read any of the backed up files. It was maddening.

This time around, I backed up my important files in three different ways and even emailed to myself the most critical files (a 4th backup plan). However, when I switched from Mint 11 to Mint 12, data wasn't an issue. All my important data transferred seamlessly.

The problem this time was with the grub boot loader. Showing some learned wisdom, I didn't simply reformat my hard drive and load the new system. I installed it along side of version 11. That way, I thought, if I don't like version 12, I can stay with the version I'm familiar with.

Well, I didn't like version 12 at all -- it utilizes Gnome 3 and the new Gnome removed several of the tools I really liked in Gnome 2. So, I tried to reboot back to version 11 and it wouldn't allow me to do so. I kept receiving strange messages that "no file system could be found." This was not true, because I could see the files on the version 11 partition from the version 12 partition!!

I won't go into all the histrionics I've gone through over the past 24 hours. Needless to say, as a person who is OCD, I haven't slept more than 2 or 3 hours. I haven't eaten much either.

After a lot of rigmarole, I was finally able to get Mint 11 reinstalled and the vast majority of my key files and data back into their proper places. Of course, I've spent the last 3 hours reloading programs and fine tuning it to my exacting preferences -- it's still not there yet.

I don't think I will be upgrading my operating system ANYTIME SOON.

Oh well, another day and another lessoned learned.

5 comments:

  1. I hate GNOME 3 and so does the rest of the Linux community.

    GNOME 2.3 forever!

    Most GNOME 2.3 fans have refused to upgrade or switched to LXDE or Xfce. The other alternative is Ubuntu Unity or KDE which looks like Windows.

    As long as it still works just don't upgrade.

    The GNOME team singlehandedly killed Linux :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. These would be my tips to those curious about mint 12.

    Test new releases as a live CD and only install if you like.

    If you want the new version but the old feel then make use of the MATE project built into mint 12.

    The transition forced upon mint by by the leap from version 2 to 3 in Gnome is huge so wait a release if rough edges bother you.

    Those from a Microsoft background and a high end PC should choose KDE.

    Those with a low end PC should choose XFCE.

    Fans of Gnome 3 of which I am one should choose Fedora and the autoplus project.

    Linux is about choice and there are plenty of choices out there. For those upset about the loss of Gnome 2 then you must give the MATE project chance to grow and the main support for MATE right now is Linux mint.

    Every cloud....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try a rolling release distro such as Arch or PC Linux OS. As long as you install updates occasionally you're always runnung the latest release.

    For myself, I've abandoned Gnome in favor of XFCE, and both Arch and PCLOS have excellent versions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Gnome 3. I also like Unity. I am also part of the Linux community. Stop speaking on my behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why not try LMDE? Thats a Mint rolling release.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.