Sunday, December 25, 2011

Atheism on Christmas Day

Ta-Wan


I woke up to a completely normal Sunday yesterday (Australia). I sat, read, listened to a little music and had a sandwich. Later in the day, I had an Indian curry my wife had left me when she went out.

By the afternoon a friend had contacted me asking me to pop round and share his celebrations. But for his Santa hat there was nothing christmassy there either, just a bunch of people, a murdered bird carcass and plenty of empty beer bottles. I arrived with a full belly and with the good timing so as to avoid their eating of the unfortunate bird, they handed me a beer and we headed out to the front of the house.

Out front we chatted and neighbors from all sides came and shared with the conversation and beer when out of the blue an old man wandered by with some leaflets. "Hello" he said, "Have you heard of Jesus?"

"Oh bad choice mate, you better move on" said my friend "You've approached the worst group of people you could imagine on this subject."

Another person there said "I have no time to talk to you about this as I'm not even an Atheist, to be an Atheist I'd have to believe there was something to not believe in."

After the thirty or so second barrage from us, the man left with as many leaflets as he arrived with.

You can check out Ta-Wan's other musings here.

1 comment:

  1. You and Trey seem to attract these folks. I wonder why that is?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.