Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blow Me Down

Trey Smith


The first major wind storm of the season blew through here last night (60 - 70 mph gusts) with an even stronger one expected tonight. As I lay awake in bed listening to the house shudder, it seemed like the howling wind would howl forever. In time, I finally fell asleep and, when I awoke this morning, the wind was calm.

I thumbed through one of my copies of the Tao Te Ching until I came to Verse 23.
High winds do not last all morning.
Heavy rain does not last all day.
So often, when circumstances turn bad or ugly, we tell ourselves that it will forever be this way. Blue skies won't return; a dark cloud will follow us wherever we go. But high winds and heavy rain eventually die down -- nothing can sustain itself indefinitely.

Even during high winds in a mighty storm, there are brief respites. It isn't one sustained wind. It gusts and then calms, only to gust again. Ebb and flow.

I like to watch and listen to storms. They remind me of the constant yin and yang forces of life.

1 comment:

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.