Monday, October 10, 2011

Both Sides Now

Many are applauding the repeal of DADT as an advance for gay and lesbian civil rights. And while any advance in civil rights is difficult to oppose, I am troubled by the celebration and fanfare that has accompanied the repeal of this policy. After eighteen years of such a costly and repugnant policy, why do I not rejoice at this step forward in legal protections for LGB individuals? Why can't I celebrate the end of DADT as an advance in civil rights?

Part of my reticence to celebrate comes from the current news coverage that suggests that the repeal of DADT is the final victory of a monolithic LGBT community that has been fighting for inclusion in the military for decades. But the gay community has never been uniform in its support for military inclusion.
~ from Why I Can't Celebrate the End of Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Gary Lehring ~
I haven't written much have the fight for and subsequent repeal of DADT because...well...I'm against war. While the civil libertarian side of me is pleased that another arbitrary hurdle has been removed, the peace activist side of me sees nothing to celebrate.

I find it difficult to get all excited -- ya know, jump up and down screaming, "Yeh!" and "Way to go!" -- now that openly gay individuals can march off to war to engage in killing for the moneyed interests. Yes, I DO understand that gays should have the right to become hired killers just like anyone else, but I'm not going to breakout in song because of it.

What I would really like to see is the same sort of commitment and drive to end imperialistic war by straights and gays alike. My country has become a menacing thug, a back alley assassin ready to shoot out anyone's brains who stands in the way of corporate hegemony.

I just find it very hard to be enthusiastic now that homosexuals can sign-up to serve in the role as hitman.

1 comment:

  1. Can't you be happy for even just a small victory in civil rights? Even if it doesn't help a larger problem? The military does more than just kill people (or at least they're supposed to), it provides humanitarian aid, and acts as a deturrence against aggression. But most importantly a military is meant to protect people from legitimate threats and violent aggressors. Although the US military doesn't really do these things anymore, but its not their fault, its the fault of our aggressive foreign policy and corrupt leaders.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.