Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Better World


Occupy Wall Street from David Sauvage on Vimeo.


If I had to sum up what I'd like to see in one word, it would be humaneness. While I do understand that different people define kindness, mercy, and compassion -- the components of humaneness -- differently, if each of us made the effort to be more humane in all we think and do, we could work through our differences in a more productive manner.

When I look at our government and economic system, what I see is that humaneness is lacking big time. Instead of compassion, most things get boiled down to a cost-benefit analysis; what costs can be shifted onto the public and what benefit the 1% can obtain.

Even if the basic structure of our society continued to be not my cup of tea, I would still be far more hopeful if basic humaneness was part of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.