Monday, October 24, 2011

54

Tomorrow is my birthday. It will mark the completion of my 54th year and the start of the 55th. Since I never thought I would make it to 40, I consider everyday to be bonus time!

I am NOT announcing this milestone because I am fishing for well wishes and congratulations. In fact, I have never understood WHY people are congratulated on their birthdays. It's not like we each have a hand in accomplishing an objective.

Life is a crap shoot. We don't ask to be born and, for most of us, we have no idea when we will die. Extremely nasty, negative and evil individuals can live to be 100 or more, while innocent babies can die within moments of birth.

While there is no question that some of our decisions along the way may aid us in our personal longevity, random luck plays as big, if not a larger, role. A person could be the kindest, most peaceful follower of Tao and, if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

So, while I'm happy to be alive and kicking at 54, I take very little credit for it. I'm just floating along on the currents of this experience called life.

5 comments:

  1. The really significant one is 60. You have a way to go yet. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "really significant" is impacted a lot by age. When you're 15 or so, 21 is really significant. When you're 78, I bet 80 looks like the real deal. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A birthday is an annual celebration of your life. No one ever said its some kind of an achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I was making reference to the Taoist/Chinese life cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trey, I wish you a very happy birthday on your 55th year. In a month I will turn 54, so I am one year behind you. I will move from Yang Fire Dragon to Yin Fire Snake (to use the 60 year lifecycle concept that the baroness refererred to)

    My physical body may be getting older but I hope I can keep my mind open and fresh like a child.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.