Monday, September 19, 2011

Would You Marry a Corporation?

I was reading an excellent essay by In These Times editor Joel Bleifuss entitled, "Corporations Are Not People." One of the subheaders of the article was: Would you let your sister marry a corporation? (What's with this "allowing" your sister to do anything? That sounds sort of chauvinistic to me!)

Still, the underlying point is important. According to the US Supreme Court, a corporation is a legal person, so does that mean, if I meet a corporation and we fall in love, that we can get married? Can I call up a corporation and ask it to meet me at the local bar for drinks?

The answer to either question is a resounding NO. And the reason is obvious -- a corporation is NOT a person. Corporations have people IN them, but the corporation itself is little more than a few pieces of paper (these days, maybe, a few electronic records).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.