Friday, September 16, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 43, Lines 1-2

The softest thing in the world dashes against and overcomes the hardest;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

The softest thing in the universe
Overcomes the hardest thing in the universe.

~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

The softest things of the world
Override the hardest things of the world

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

The softest force in the universe
can overcome the hardest of objects.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
To understand these lines, think of the Grand Canyon. Over millions of years, the waters of the Colorado River cut their way through rugged mountains to form one of the nation's national treasures. Millimeter by millimeter the hard rock gave way to the soft water -- a process that continues unabated to this day.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

5 comments:

  1. I think it might be more accurate to say, "to understand the Grand Canyon, think of these lines." I would like some examples of this applied to how one lives...like how one acquires a skill, or how one ages gracefully, or overcomes a handicap. It's not just the softness of the water that carves the canyon, but its persistence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent point!! It's one of the reasons comments are so important. Often people -- such as my dear Baroness -- add things that I should have been stressed (but didn't) or make points that I didn't think of.

    Heck, I often think general readers will learn far more from astute comments than from the actual post itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you probably won't call me "my dear" after you read my last comment on your "hip" post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not about whether I always agree with you or not. My point was more that you leave very heartfelt and insightful comments.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.