Sunday, September 18, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 43, Line 4

I know hereby what advantage belongs to doing nothing (with a purpose).
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

Hence I know the value of non-action.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

From this I know the benefits of unattached actions
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

That's how I know
about the power of doing nothing.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
When we come to understand -- which is not the same thing as comprehending -- that the intangible Tao permeates everything, we catch a glimpse of the concept of wu wei. Life exists because of Tao and yet Tao never wills or forces anything.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

1 comment:

  1. "I know hereby...Hence I know...From this I know...That's how I know..."

    MIght I suggest there is a leap of faith here? Understanding (but not comprehending?) the intangible Tao? You have accepted Tao...glimpsing wu wei?

    The God of logic and physics?

    This is really deep stuff. Understanding and comprehending, knowing and accepting?

    Words fail.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.