Thursday, September 15, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 42, Lines 11-13

What other men (thus) teach, I also teach. The violent and strong do not die their natural death. I will make this the basis of my teaching.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

What others teach, I also teach; that is:
"A violent man will die a violent death!"
This will be the essence of my teaching.

~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

What the ancients taught
I will also teach
The violent one cannot have a natural death
I will use this as the principal of all teachings

~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Other people will tell you
what I'm telling you now:
"Live by the sword, die by the sword."
That's pretty much what Chapter 42
boils down to.

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
In this instance, I think Ron Hogan nailed it! It is the very same message Jesus told to his followers and I would guess that in all major religions and philosophies a similar message can be found.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.