Sunday, September 11, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 42, Line 4

Three produced All things.
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

And three begot the ten thousand things.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Three produce myriad things
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

and three making everything else.
~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
Now that the stage has been set, life on earth -- in all its myriad forms -- becomes reality. Everything we know and experience is sparked by the One, the life force.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

2 comments:

  1. This sparking of the One (whatever you mean by that), the life force, is putting a spin on all this that may or may not be there. A "sparking life force" doesn't seem any more (or less) meaningful or true than the Genesis story.

    This chapter is about unity which arises from nothing; then duality, then plurality, then the ten thousand things, all of it. Breath and qi come into it, but it makes me think of how I paint a tree. First there is nothing, then a piece of paper and ink on a brush. I make a stroke, then a second, then three, over and over, and then there is a tree. It's a mathematical process really. "Life force" is a spiritual concept...I'm surprised that you bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I remarked before in another comment, I realize that "spark" wasn't really the best word for what I was trying to convey, but I settled on it because it was the best word I could come up with at the time I wrote this (about 10 days ago).

    You write above about nothing, then something. What is between the two?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.