Thursday, September 8, 2011

Line by Line - Verse 42, Line 1

The Tao produced One;
~ James Legge translation, from The Sacred Books of the East, 1891 ~

The Tao begot one.
~ Gia-fu Feng and Jane English translation, published by Vintage Books, 1989 ~

Tao produces one
~ Derek Lin translation, from Tao Te Ching: Annotated & Explained, published by SkyLight Paths, 2006 ~

Chapter 42 starts out
with some cosmic mumbo-jumbo
about Tao making one,

~ Ron Hogan rendition, from Beatrice.com, 2004 ~
Notwithstanding Ron Hogan's analysis, I think the point Lao Tzu is trying to get across is that Tao is the spark of life. Without this spark, nothing else we know would matter.

When I refer to a spark, I don't necessarily mean a start point. We don't know if there was a start point or not! But there is something that makes life possible and, for a lack of a better word, I am utilizing the word, spark.

To view the Index page for this series to see what you may have missed or would like to read again, go here.

5 comments:

  1. My teacher would say Tao gives rise to primeval, undifferentiated qi (before yin and yang.)

    When I come across a new version of the TTC, Ch. 42 is always the one I look at to get a sense of where the translator/interpreter is coming from. I would have found it hard to take Ron Hogan seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, referring back to Ch. 40, non-being (Tao) gives rise to being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Ron Hogan's version, but I do agree that is take on this line makes you shake your head. It would have been better to skip over it then render it as he did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I know what you are trying to say with "spark" with its fiery, creative implication, I think it is a bit too yang for this concept...the "one" precedes yin and yang. Maybe that's why concepts like non-being/being, and primeval qi, or "unity" preceding "duality", mathematical concepts really, are often used by commentators.

    I guess, unlike Ron Hogan, I think this is one of the most important, key portions of the TTC. It's the "cosmic mumbo-jumbo" that underlies everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're probably right! I really struggled with coming up with a good word for it. "Spark" does indicate a specific start point and so it's really not appropriate. On the other hand, spark is a word that most westerners understand, so I went with it...with trepidations! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.