Monday, September 12, 2011

I Have Had This Nightmare Before

Last night I finally got around to switching from Linux Mint 10 to 11. As I always do, I first copied my most important files to CDs and then verified the file integrity of each one. Once this was completed, I put in the cd with the iso image of Mint 11 and installed it over my one partition.

Everything looked good. The newer Mint was a bit faster than the older version and a lot of the programs had been updated. I only needed to do one more thing before I would be back in business: copy my important data into my home folder. I completed this task in about 3 minutes.

That's when the nightmare began. When I tried to access the data, nothing would open!! I tried file after file after file and found the same result. In my home directory, it showed the proper file size and format, but each time I tried to access a file, a dialog box would pop open to inform me that the file format was unknown.

I tried a variety of gambits to no avail. In desperation, I reloaded Mint 10. Same result. I can't access ANY of my most crucial data.

I'm at my wits end. All of my text files appear gone as well as our family's accounting files. I can't figure out why all the files I dutifully copied (as I have before when switching Linux systems or updating Linux Mint) are now somehow corrupted.

It's like struggling through a desert dying of thirst and hearing water trickling somewhere, but being unable to find it. All of my important data is on these cds, but I can't seem to access any of it.

I am feeling a tremendous sense of loss right now.

1 comment:

  1. CD's can sometimes burn incorrectly and corrupt files. I recommend using an external hard drive or USB drive instead, thats how I back up my data. You could try searching for some data recovery software and see if your files are still on your drive, but it might be too late if you already formatted it. Another thing you could try is a different distro, or maybe your CD drive is on the fritz. One last thing you can do is see if a friends computer can read the files. Its rare that I come across someone who knows how to use Linux, especially someone your age. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.