Sunday, September 11, 2011

Coming to Grips

When I was in my teens and early twenties, I had a lot of trouble coming to grips with the notion that one of the hallmarks of my life would be pain. My diseased left hip already had started acting up as early as high school and my doctors were warning me that it was in my best interests to modify my expectations for a full and vigorous physical life.

I didn't pay them much heed. When I found myself really aching, I would decide to engage in robust activity. In a weird sort of way, I thought I could lessen the pain by increasing it!! Slowly, I learned that heaping pain on pain only led to one place -- more pain.

In this same vein, we can't blot out hate by hating those who hate us. Two hates don't miraculously turn into love. Disrespecting those who don't respect us doesn't produce justice.

This basic lesson is lost on America's leaders and too many of this nation's citizens. In the aftermath of 9/11 -- an event that represented terror in its most gruesome form -- we have adopted the policy that we will terrorize others as a way to rid the world of terrorism. As with pain and hate, it doesn't work that way and, in our heart of hearts, we know this truth intuitively.

And make no mistake about it: The United States is a purveyor of terrorism. We terrorize the guilty and innocent alike with drones, bombs, missiles, economic blackmail and environmental devastation. We bludgeon those who get in our way, whether they be foreigners or US citizens. We kill people -- sometimes targeted and sometimes randomly.

We support what we say we don't support.

We are what we say we are against.

Ultimately, this will be our undoing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.