Friday, August 5, 2011

Tao Bible - Ecclesiastes 9:5

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
~ King James version ~

The only people who truly are dead are those who never really lived.
~ possible Taoist alternative ~
For most Christians, immortality occurs when believers go to heaven in an afterlife. For this Taoist, immortality is attained when our lives are remembered by others. Some individuals live on because of loving deeds, while others live on due to evil deeds. Those who are not remembered are those who sleepwalked through life without passion.

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

4 comments:

  1. I am sure there are lots of people who lived, awake with passion, who are not remembered by anyone. This smacks of Asian ancestor worship.

    Immortality is a personal thing, not something "owed" or "due" or remembered, memorialized, by others. In two generations, if not sooner, you and I will likely be forgotten by the world. But I think we both live awake and passionately. How you approach immortality is immaterial (really) to me. Is it important to you to be remembered? For me it means something else. I understand that you are not interested in Taoist immortality teachings or practices, but you just insulted a lot of people, suggesting that if they are not remembered, their lives were not really lived fully.

    I am always amused by Woody Allen's remark, when asked if he expected to achieve immortality through his films.

    "No," he said, "I want to achieve immortality by not dying."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't believe in the ripple effect? That your actions or the way you comport yourself in life won't impact later generations?

    I bet that within your extended family (and maybe beyond) you will be remembered. I know that I have touched many lives in my time and I am certain I will be remembered. I probably won't be remembered in name, but the spirit in which I live will be mingled with our such spirits and will become part of the collective consciousness of society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Where I wrote, "but the spirit in which I live will be mingled with our such spirits, " I meant to write the word, "other."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ripple effect sounds a bit like karma. And yes, I do believe in that, but it doesn't have much to do with MY immortality. And the collective consciousness of SOCIETY? I don't really give a shit about society. (Though it's interesting to watch.) But I appreciate your point.

    We're in deep territory here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.