Tuesday, August 9, 2011

It Is Hard Being Fragile

Upon awakening yesterday morning, I discovered that getting out of bed was not going to be an easy thing! When I had gone to sleep the night before, I had to deal with my routine pains, but nothing of major significance. During the night it seems my body had decided to attack itself in the area near my diseased left hip. Since my "bed" is on the floor, trying to get to on my feet was a huge undertaking.

Once up, I hobbled downstairs to find my cane. I have been relying on it ever since.

Let me tell you, it is hard being fragile. I'm a big guy -- 6'2" and around 185 pounds. Most fellows my age (53) can still haul the lumber. Mowing the yard, painting the house or working on the car are chores that they don't even think about. I have to be conscious of almost anything I do because one misstep or one overreach can put me down for days or weeks at a time.

Sometimes, due to my Fibromyalgia, I don't have to do much of anything and I'm still put out of commission for several days or more. Heck, standing too long in the kitchen washing dishes can take a toll!

Mind you, I'm not complaining. This has become my lot in life and I simply have to deal with it. Besides, complaining doesn't do any good. I could whine all I want and it doesn't change the fact that I experience massive pain or limited mobility.

I try to do what I can physically muster each day and, when my body revolts, I have to shutdown.

Wishing it was not so doesn't make it not so.

It is what it is.

2 comments:

  1. I have followed this blog for some time. What I like about it are the personal posts, how you deal with adversity. I usually skip the political posts. Anyway, I like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one reason I cover so many different topics. What speaks to one person won't speak to the next. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.