Monday, August 15, 2011

Everyone Needs to Eat

I have recently befriended a man and his pregnant girlfriend whose living accommodations are...spartan...to say the least. They live on the edge of town down an abandoned logging road in a tent!

Why do they live in a tent? The man is a convicted child molester. Nobody wants to hire or rent to someone like that! So, with few options open to them, they live on an abandoned piece of property getting by the best they can.

In my former professional life as a Child Abuse Investigator, I worked to protect children from guys like this. In conjunction with the police and the DA's office, I sought to have these people arrested and jailed. But unlike so many people I know, I don't hate men (and the few women) who molest.

I realize these folks have a serious problem, but, in my eyes, molestation doesn't define everything about them. Like everyone else, they need to eat. They need shelter. They need to be clothed. They have dreams and fears like the rest of us.

When society decides simply to toss them aside like rotten fruit, it benefits neither them nor society. They need help to overcome their predilections or, at least, keep them at bay. In many cases, they need to be kept busy, lest the urges become too pronounced and they decide to do the unthinkable again.

One local businessman has hired this guy "unofficially" to do some janitorial type work. I applaud the business owner for giving this man the chance to earn some money. Like I said, the fellow needs to eat.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post! Do you know if this couple is going to have any trouble keeping custody of their child once he or she is born? (I'm not quite sure how these things work.)

    What do you think society should do with child molesters who have served their time?

    Do you agree with sexual offender registries?

    Would you be comfortable living next door to or working with someone who had done that sort of thing?

    These aren't snide questions in the least, by the way. I'd just never realized how restricted a child molester is in choice of home or employment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive coined a phrase for this phenomenon, I call it "pedophiliaphobia" I even made a post about it similar to this one. Its kind of a sad thing

    http://kaiwenboke.blogspot.com/2011/07/pedophiliaphobia.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know if this couple is going to have any trouble keeping custody of their child once he or she is born?

    I don't know, but the question has crossed my mind.

    What do you think society should do with child molesters who have served their time?

    It's not an easy question to answer. While it is important to keep them away from children, they should be free to live their lives otherwise.

    Do you agree with sexual offender registries?

    Most definitely! The guy I wrote about is registered and the local police know the general area where he lives.

    Would you be comfortable living next door to or working with someone who had done that sort of thing?

    It wouldn't bother me any -- we don't have kids. That said, we can't offer them temporary shelter because our neighbor across the street runs a home daycare center. I certainly do not want to put any of those children in harm's way.

    KaiWen,
    I'll check out your post right now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.