Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tao Bible - Ecclesiastes 2:15-16

Then said I in my heart, As it happeneth to the fool, so it happeneth even to me; and why was I then more wise? Then I said in my heart, that this also is vanity. For there is no remembrance of the wise more than of the fool for ever; seeing that which now is in the days to come shall all be forgotten. And how dieth the wise man? as the fool.
~ King James version ~

If the sage would guide the people, he must serve with humility.
If he would lead them, he must follow behind.
~ from Verse 66 of the Tao Te Ching ~
Though he doesn't state it directly, I think that one of things the author of Ecclesiastes is trying to say is that people who think of themselves as wise -- wear the badge of wisdom -- are mere fools. The truly wise person does not concern themselves with calling attention to their supposed sagacity. As Lao Tzu suggests, the truly wise person is raised up by lowering themselves.

If you're interested in reading more from this experimental series, go to the Tao Bible Index page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.