Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sleep Well, My Darling

Yesterday was one of those days that interfered with my patterned routine. It was counseling day in Long Beach and, as we frequently do, we combined the drive to south county with a jaunt over the Columbia River to do some shopping in Warrenton and Astoria. Different than other such trips, we went across to Oregon AFTER my one hour talk with Bill.

Because my standing appointment time with Bill is 3 pm, it means I am on the road during my usual afternoon nap time. Most such weeks, I simply nap a bit later. Yesterday, however, we didn't arrive home until around 7:30 pm. By the time we got groceries put away and I ran some product down to Paul (who owns the local Mini Mart), it was too late to take my nap!

Most people in this situation simply would go to bed earlier than normal. That doesn't work for me! I know from experience that, when I try to go to bed earlier than normal -- normal being 3:00 - 5:00 am -- I can't sleep. It doesn't matter how tired I am. I will toss and turn. I will get frustrated at my inability to provide my exhausted body with rest.

So, last "night" I waited until 3:30 am to hit the sack. I was asleep within seconds! Despite the fact I was utterly worn out, I expected I would wake-up this morning no later than 10:00 am. I was surprised when I finally rolled out of bed to see that it was 11:45 am! I had slept more than 8 hours continuously!

This is a rarity for me. A usual night's sleep is between 4-6 hours. I augment this with one or two 90 - 150 minute naps per day. Due to my Fibromyalgia, fatigue has become constant. While I don't tend to sleep for long periods at a time, I sleep more frequently than the average person. It's like I need to recharge my batteries more often.

Even though I had a long sleep last night, I expect I will take my usual afternoon nap today. Got to get my schedule back on track!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are unmoderated, so you can write whatever you want.